Monday, January 14, 2013

I should have been a cowgirl.

 
 
I love horses. The smell of hay, clean tack, and even their breath blowing out in greeting... My great Uncle Earl Gunnels raised Tennessee Walkers and I always begged for one, but my parents didn't  share my love of all things equine.




 


I never fulfilled the dream of owning a horse and I haven't ridden since high school and I thought I had left childhood dreams behind until a trip year to stay with my husband Frank outside of Charlotte. His friend Bruce owns five horses, and at the first sight and smell  of themI felt the longing return.Looking into big brown eyes I felt a connection I had not felt in ages, a sense of familiarity, of knowing and kinship.



 
 
I will most likely ever own a horse at this stage of my life, but
maybe in the next one I can be a cowgirl roaming the range with an old friend.



No comments: